Hurt at Work? Seeking Advice on What to Do

Hurt at work

Workers’ compensation is a complex process.  There are all sorts of rules, regulations, and deadlines that need to be followed, making the process rather intimidating – especially when you’re not feeling up to par from your work injury. That’s why, when choosing a topic for my inaugural Blog entry, I decided that the best place to start was at the very beginning.

“Help!  I just got hurt at work.  What do I need to do?”

  • The first and most important thing that any injured worker needs to do is give notice of the injury. You have 120 days (4 months) to report your injury to your Employer.  Practically speaking, you should make your Employer aware of your alleged injury as soon as possible. Remember, the longer you wait, the more reason the Employer and insurance carrier may have to question the authenticity of your claim.
  • Providing notice. When providing notice, you must notify a manager, supervisor or someone who is generally “in charge.” Telling a co-worker is not good enough. 
  • Notice can be verbal. Simply telling your supervisor that you were hurt is sufficient.  However, it is always good practice to put things in writing, even after you informed him/her verbally.  (Draft an e-mail; Send a text message, Or you could even just write a note on a piece of paper.)
  • Filling out forms. When you report an injury, the Employer should have you fill out some sort of Injury or Incident Report.  If they don’t offer to do so, ask about it and make sure you ask for a photocopy of the report so you have it for your own records.
  • Report any and all injuries. Practically speaking, you should report any injury, even if you think it is a minor or you think the pain/injury will go away without requiring medical care.
  • Medical treatment. Assuming you do require medical treatment, the Employer should also provide you with a list of “panel” physicians.  This is a list of doctors/facilities that have been approved by the Employer to treat you for a work injury.  In most cases, you are required to receive treatment from a doctor from this “panel” list in the first 90 days following your injury.

If you have been injured at work, you need someone on your side. What you need is an attorney who specializes in workers’ compensation, is experienced and understands all of the regulations that your employer and its insurance carrier will never explain to you. Call Gross Law Office to schedule a free consultation. We will guide you through the steps of filing a workers’ compensation claim.Gross Law Office
527 Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA
Serving the Greater Lehigh Valley Area
Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Whitehall, Northampton, PA

Please note: This blog and website is designed for general information only. The information presented on this site is neither formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Laws change. Each case is different.